Marriage License Requirements
Office Hours: 7:30am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday
Requirement Hotline: (402)441-8448
Marriage licenses are issued during normal business hours, Monday through Friday; 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. without an appointment.
The Clerk's Office also issues marriage licenses by appointment only on the first Thursday of the month between 4:30-6:00pm. If you would like to schedule an evening appointment, please contact us at 402-441-7484 or email@example.com. Please allow 24 hour advance notice when making your appointment.
- Fee of $25.00 in cash, check or credit card.
- Proof of identity/age: A Driver's License or Passport.
Statute 42-104 states "Each party shall present satisfactory documentary proof and shall swear or affirm to the application giving: (1) Full name of each applicant and residents: and (2) the place, date and year of birth of each."
It is customary in this office to require a photo ID as "satisfactory documentary proof" of identity. Driver's licenses, state id's, passports and green cards are satisfactory. A birth certificate by itself cannot positively establish identity.
- Applicants must verbally supply Social Security numbers if they have one.
- License is good for one year from date of application any place in Nebraska and there is no waiting period (you have one year to use the license to get married, if not, it will expire and you will need to come in and reapply).
- Applicants must supply the names of their parents (including mother's maiden name), and their parent's birthplaces.
- If applicant(s) has been married previously, the date the previous marriage ended will be requested (Court date or date of death). If your divorce is in the State of Nebraska, there is a waiting period of six months and one day after it is granted by a Judge. An applicant must wait until the waiting period is over before they can apply for a marriage license anywhere in the State of Nebraska.
- If either applicant is not of legal age (19), a notarized consent
form must be signed by the person's legal guardian giving consent
to the marriage of the minor. If either applicant is under 17
years of age, license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.
After selecting the Consent Form,
it will load into Acrobat Reader, which will allow you to fill it out on-line then print it out.
if you do not yet have it installed on your computer.
- In order for either applicant to change their last name they will need to purchase a certified copy for $9.00, which can be pre-paid at the time of getting the marriage license. We will mail your certified copy out to you after we have received the license and certificate of marriage back from the person who performed the ceremony and have processed it, which normally takes one to two weeks. The officiant is required to return the license to us within 15 days of your ceremony. You will need to take the certified copy with you to the 2 main name change offices - the Social Security Office and the Driver's License Bureau. It is not required that the $9 be paid at the time of getting the marriage license, but if you plan on changing your name, you will need the certified copy.
- Who can perform your ceremony: State Statute 42-108 states, "Every judge, retired judge, clerk magistrate, or retired clerk magistrate, and every preacher of the gospel authorized by the usages of the church to which he or she belongs to solemnize marriages, may perform the marriage ceremony in this state." Attached is a list of Judges you may contact who can perform your marriage ceremony.
- The Lancaster County Clerk's Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and we are not closed over the lunch hour. Our office is located at 555 South 10th Street, Room 108, Lincoln.
- The marriage license worksheet can be filled out online in advance and it must returned to our office for processing. Both parties need to appear in person to apply for the license. Both parties will need to show photo identification and there is a $34 fee ($25 for the license and $9 for the certified copy). If the worksheet is not filled out online, another one will need to be filled out in the office.
- All marriage licenses obtained in Lancaster County are public record and will be printed in the Lincoln Journal Star and the Daily Reporter including name, age and city and state of both parties without exception. If you live out of State, only the age and state will be printed. These publications print only marriage licenses obtained in Lancaster County.