The first settlers to Denton were Hamilton Queen, May 18, 1865, Ellis Shane, October 26, 1866. Long before the town was founded "Denton" was a "designated station" on the railroad. From the mid 1860s until the railroad was built to Lincoln, Texas cattle were driven up through this area. In 1871, James Abbott came to Denton and bought steers and broke them to yoke, which he then sold to people going West.
Construction started on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in 1871. On August 1, 1871, a plat was filed a village, Denton, and named after stock- raiser D.M. Denton. Denton became incorporated in 1913.
The post office was established on May 1, 1877. The first postmaster was Addie E. Clark.
The Shane school was southwest of town and the Hudson school (now known as District 69) was northeast. The first school was taught by Lydia Webster at the stone house of D.M. Denton. The first school house in Denton was built in 1881.
The Denton Methodist Church was dedicated in 1893 and St. Mary's Catholic Church in 1912.
On January 27, 1930, a fire began in a store which wiped out most of the businesses. It's only due to spunk that Denton didn't die with the stock market crash of 1929 and the fire in 1930.
The Centennial was held July 31 and August 1, 1971, and a good time was had by all.
DENTON - "COME HOME TO THE COUNTRY"
Denton, a community of 174 by 1990 census figures, is located inthe southwest quadrant of Lancaster County. Denton lies directlybetween Lincoln and Crete, approximately 12 miles from each, and isknown as a bedroom community.
Daniel M. Denton, Ellis Shane, and Hamilton Queen were the first settlers in Denton Township. Mr. Denton served honorably as assessorof the precinct for three terms and as a school board official for anumber of years. The precinct bears his name. Long before there wasa town, "Denton" was a designated location on the proposed Burlington"main line" from Lincoln to Fort Kearney. Laid out by D.N. andSophia Smith and surveyed by M. Willsie, the town plat was filed forrecord on August 1, 1871.
A post office for Denton was established May 1, 1887, when J. R.C. Miller was appointed postmaster. Soon after, several stores andtwo elevators were established. By the 1900’s, a number ofbusinesses had opened including a grocery, creamery, bank, lumberyard, and two grain elevators. Today, they are no more. The hotel,band stand, meat market, doctor’s office, and railroad depot are alsomemories of the past.
Crete School District #2 serves the Denton community providing excellent elementary, junior high and high schools. Students living outside the parameter of the village attend public or private schoolsin Lincoln, Malcolm, Milford and Crete.
Two state recreation areas, Yankee Hill Lake three miles east and Conestoga Lake two miles north, provide water sports and recreationas well as camping. The area around Denton is lush farmland andnative prairie. Interspersed among the farms and ranches are homeson small acreages.
Today Denton boasts of concrete paved streets throughout the village; Town Talk, a monthly newsletter that serves the Denton area; a new community center; and a community park developed by the DentonCommunity Activities Committee over the past seven years. The DentonChapter of Dollars for Scholars was formed in November, 1991, toaward scholarships to area youth and adults for full-time highereducation. Renewed civic pride is evident as older homes andbuilding are renovated and committees work together to make theDenton community a better place to live.