The Application Process
Follow this link to the
City-County Human Resources job listing page to check for job openings.
The Sheriff's Office establishes an eligibility list for hiring that stays in effect for six months, but may be approved for longer time periods.
The office will typically test only once a year to determine who makes that list.
Applications are only accepted during a designated period of time prior to testing.
- Applications are made online at the
City-County Human Resources job listing webpage. Once the application period has closed, the
Human Resources will notify all applicants of the scheduled times for written
- Written Testing is conducted by Human Resources and a passing score of 70% must be achieved to advance. Currently the written exam is the POST by Stanard.
- If you successfully pass the written test, you will then move on to a physical performance evaluation. Click here for a detailed description of the physical testing.
Click here for recommended training activities to prepare. Physical testing is not scored for rankings but those who pass will move on to the interview stage.
- Oral interviews will be conducted for everyone who passes the written and physical tests. An initial interview is conducted and the top scoring candidates continue to an oral board
- Final rankings of total scores are determined after the oral interview(s). The Sheriff has the option to choose from the top three available
candidates to fill each open position.
If you happen to already be a certified law enforcement officer in another state, and your
certification is accepted by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center, you may be required
to attend only a portion of basic certification class.
Back to Employment Page