Visit the City-County Human Resources job listing page to check for job openings.
The Sheriff's Office establishes an eligibility list for hiring that stays in effect for six months, but may be approved for longer time periods. The office will typically test only once a year to determine who makes that list. Applications are only accepted during a designated period of time prior to testing.
- Applications are made online at the City-County Human Resources job listing webpage.
- Written testing requires a passing score of 70% in the reading and language sections of the exam for admission to the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center. Mathematics are also assessed during the examination, but there is no minimum score on this section. Currently the written exam is the TABE examination.
- If you successfully pass the written test, you will then move on to a physical performance evaluation. View a detailed description of the physical testing (PDF). Find recommended training activities to prepare (PDF). Physical testing is not scored for rankings, but those who pass will move on to the interview stage.
- Applicants without completed Personal History Statements at the time of testing may be disqualified from the process.
- Oral interviews will be conducted for all eligible applicants who pass the written and physical tests. The top scoring candidates may continue to additional interview stages as needed.
- Final rankings of total scores are determined after the oral interview(s). The Sheriff has the option to choose from the top three available candidates to fill each open position.
If you happen to already be a certified law enforcement officer in another state, and your certification is accepted by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center, you may be required to attend only a portion of basic certification class.
2021 Hiring Timeline
|Applications Open||August 14, 2021 - September 12, 2021|
|Written and Physical Testing||September 23-25, 2021|
|Oral Board Interviews||September 27, 2021 - October 1, 2021|
|Background Investigations||October 6-24, 2021|
|Sheriff Interviews||October 25, 2021 - November 9, 2021|
|Conditional Offer Testing||November 1-12, 2021|
|Sheriff's Final Offer||November 13, 2021 - list expiration|
|Basic Training Academy||January 2, 2022 - April 15, 2022|
***SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE***