Visit the City-County Human Resources job listing page to check for job openings.
The Sheriff's Office establishes an eligibility list for hiring that stays in effect for up to six months, but may be extended with approval of the Merit Commission based upon operational needs. Recently, the Merit Commission approved an accelerated "lateral" hiring process which is open to candidates who hold active law enforcement certificates or those who are eligible for reciprocity or reactivation within the State of Nebraska. Lateral application processes will be offered from time to time based upon staffing needs. Lateral candidates are also welcome to apply during traditional hiring processes which are open to the general public but will be required to complete the same testing as other non-certified applicants. Only one eligibility list is certified and used for hire at any given time. The office accepts applications and conducts testing to determine who makes each list. Applications are only accepted during a designated period of time prior to testing.
- Applications are made online at the City-County Human Resources job listing webpage.
- Written testing requires a passing score of 70% in the reading and language sections of the exam for admission to the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center. Mathematics are also assessed during the examination, but there is no minimum score on this section. Currently the written exam is the TABE examination. Written testing is not required for candidates during lateral only processes.
- If you successfully pass the written test, you will then move on to a physical performance evaluation. View a detailed description of the physical testing (PDF). Find recommended training activities to prepare (PDF). Physical testing is not scored for rankings, but those who pass will move on to the interview stage. Physical testing is not required for candidates during lateral only processes.
- Applicants without completed Personal History Statements at the time of testing may be disqualified from the process.
- Oral interviews will be conducted for all eligible applicants who pass the written and physical tests*. The top scoring candidates may continue to additional interview stages as needed.
- Final rankings of total scores are determined after the oral interview(s). The Sheriff has the option to choose from the top three available candidates to fill each open position.
If you happen to already be a certified law enforcement officer in another state, and your certification is accepted by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center, you may be required to attend only a portion of basic certification class.
* Eligible candidates who apply during lateral only processes advance directly to the oral interview stage of the hiring process.
Spring 2022 Deputy Hiring Timeline
|Traditional Deputy Written and Physical Testing||May 13th, 14th, and 21st, 2022|
|Traditional Oral Board Interviews||May 23 - 27, 2022|
|Traditional Background Investigations||May 31 - June 17, 2022|
|Traditional Sheriff Interviews||June 20 - 24, 2022|
|Traditional Conditional Offer Testing||June 27 - July 8, 2022|
|Traditional Final Offers of Employment||July 11 - List Expiration|
|Basic Training Academy (212th Basic) ||August 28, 2022 - December 9, 2022|
***SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE***