Visit the City-County Human Resources job listing page to check for job openings.
The Sheriff's Office establishes an eligibility list for hiring that stays in effect for six months, but may be approved for longer time periods. The office will typically test only once a year to determine who makes that list. Applications are only accepted during a designated period of time prior to testing.
- Applications are made online at the City-County Human Resources job listing webpage.
- Written Testing is conducted by Human Resources and a passing score of 70% in each section must be achieved to advance. Currently the written exam is the POST by Stanard & Associates, Inc.
- If you successfully pass the written test, you will then move on to a physical performance evaluation. View a detailed description of the physical testing (PDF). Find recommended training activities to prepare (PDF). Physical testing is not scored for rankings, but those who pass will move on to the interview stage.
- Pre-screen interviews will be conducted for everyone who passes the written and physical tests. The top scoring candidates continue to an oral board panel interview.
- Final rankings of total scores are determined after the oral interview(s). The Sheriff has the option to choose from the top three available candidates to fill each open position.
If you happen to already be a certified law enforcement officer in another state, and your certification is accepted by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center, you may be required to attend only a portion of basic certification class.
2020 Hiring Timeline
|Applications Open||December 21, 2019 - January 24, 2020|
|Written Testing Study Session||Jan 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM|
|Written and Physical Testing||February 6-8, 2020|
|Pre-screen Interviews||February 10-14, 2020|
|Oral Board Interviews||February 18-21, 2020|
|Background Investigations||February 24, 2020 - March 13, 2020|
|Sheriff Interviews||March 16-17, 2020|
|Conditional Offer Testing||March 18-27, 2020|
|Sheriff's Final Offer||March 30, 2020|
|Basic Training Academy||May 3, 2020 - August 14, 2020|
***SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE***