Runaway / Truant

If your child is frequently on run or out of control, you may wish to contact the County Attorney's office to determine whether you wish to have an Ungovernable Petition filed in Juvenile Court.

Ungovernable Behavior

The Juvenile Code allows the County Attorney's Office to seek filing for any juvenile who, by reason of being wayward or habitually disobedient, is uncontrolled by his or her parent, guardian, or custodian; who deports himself or herself so as to injure or endanger seriously the morals or health of himself, herself, or others; or who is habitually truant from home or school [Nebraska Revised Statutes Section 43-247(3)(b)].

Ungovernable behavior can include, but is not limited to:

  • Leaving the family home without permission
  • Drug and/or alcohol use
  • Refusal to participate in therapy and/or take medication as prescribed
  • Refusal to follow the rules of the family home
  • Threats to harm self or others
  • Truancy from school

Request an Ungovernable Petition

Contact Laura Suhr at 402-441-6539 in order to discuss the background information on your child and specific information on your child's ungovernable behavior. We can then help direct you on pursuing the next steps of requesting an Ungovernable Petition filing in juvenile court. If an Ungovernable Petition is filed and the allegations are found to be true, the Juvenile Court Judge would have the authority to order the ungovernable child to follow rules, participate in treatment and therapy, or if needed, reside in an out of home placement or treatment facility.