Lancaster County Weed Authority
Lancaster County Weed Authority is responsible to carry out the State of Nebraska Noxious Weed Control Act, along with the administration of the City of Lincoln's Weed Abatement program since entering into an interlocal agreement with the City of Lincoln in 1996.
This is accomplished by educating landowners informing them of the legal requirements and benefits of controlling noxious weeds as well as overgrown weeds and worthless vegetation on their property.
Lancaster County Noxious Weed program works to protect effectively against designated noxious weeds which constitute a present threat to the continued economic and environmental value of lands in the County. This is accomplished by implementing the mandates of the State of Nebraska Noxious Weed Control Act, setting forth management objectives and plans, methods or practices which utilize a variety of techniques for the integrated management of noxious weeds. By establishing a coordinated program for the integrated management of noxious weeds, it is the County's intent to encourage and require all appropriate and available management methods, while promoting those methods which are the most environmentally benign and which are practical and economically feasible.
Mission & Goals
The education of the public concerning noxious weeds and to exercise the necessary authority to obtain effective control of noxious weeds county-wide and the education of the public concerning weed abatement and to exercise the necessary authority to cut and clear overgrown weeds and worthless vegetation in the city of Lincoln.
Our Mission & Goals include:
- Prevent the development of new noxious and invasive weed infestations
- Provide education and public outreach about noxious and invasive weed control
- Provide ongoing management of State of Nebraska and Lancaster County designated noxious weeds, as well as the City of Lincoln Weed Abatement program
- Inform the citizens of Lincoln of the legal requirements and benefits of cutting and clearing overgrown weeds and worthless vegetation
- Efficiently and effectively exercise authority when necessary to obtain acceptable noxious weed control throughout the County and overgrown vegetation in the City of Lincoln
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations through integrated management techniques