Health Care

Hospital & Outpatient Care

Eligibility for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital and outpatient care is divided into two categories:

  • In the first category, the VA shall provide any needed hospital and outpatient care to the extent and in the amount that congress appropriates funds.
  • In the second category, the VA may furnish any needed hospital and outpatient care to the extent resources and facilities are available if the veteran makes a co-payment.

To find out which category you fall under, call your County Service Officer.

Nursing Home Care

Nursing care in VA or private nursing homes is provided for veterans who are not acutely ill and not in need of hospital care. If space and resources are available in VA facilities, VA may provide nursing-home care. Veterans who have service-connected disabilities are given first priority for nursing-home care. For further information, contact your local County Service Officer.

Alcohol & Drug Dependence Treatment

Veterans eligible for VA medical care may apply for substance abuse treatment. Veterans without service-connected disabilities, whose income exceeds the threshold for free medical care, may be authorized treatment for alcohol and drug dependence only if the veteran agrees to make co-payments. After hospitalization for alcohol or drug treatment, veterans may be eligible for outpatient care or may be authorized to continue treatment or rehab at the VA expense in a private facility.

Home Improvements & Structural Alterations

This program helps pay for home improvements necessary to provide disability access to the home. VA will pay up to $4,100 for alterations for a veteran being treated for a service-connected disability or a veteran with a disability rating of 50% or more. Up to $1,200 may be paid to other eligible veterans. Contact your nearest County Service Officer.

Services & Aids for Blind Veterans

Blind veterans may be eligible for services at a VA medical center or for admission to a VA blind rehab center. Services are available at all VA medical facilities through the Visual Impairment Services coordinator.

Medical Care for Dependents & Survivors

The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Veterans Administration (CHAMPVA), the VA civilian health and medical program, shares the cost of medical care for dependents and survivors of veterans. Dependents are not eligible for CHAMPVA benefits if they are eligible for medical care under the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS) or Medicare, Part A, as a result of reaching 65.

Beneficiaries age 65 or older who lose eligibility for CHAMPVA by becoming eligible for Medicare, Part A, or who qualify for Medicare, Part A, benefits on the basis of a disability may reestablish CHAMPVA eligibility by submitting documentation from the Social Security Administration certifying they are not entitled to or have exhausted Medicare, Part A, benefits.