Other Federal Benefits

Job-Finding Assistance

State employment offices help veterans find jobs by providing free job counseling, testing, referral, and placement services. Veterans are given priority in the referral of job openings and training opportunities. Disabled veterans receive the highest priority in referrals.

Job Training Partnership Act

This Act provides for a national job training program for disabled, Vietnam Era, and recently separated veterans. Job training programs may be conducted through public agencies and private nonprofit organizations. Veterans should apply at the nearest state employment office.

Disabled Veterans Outreach Program

The Labor Department's Office of Veterans Employment and Training locates disabled veterans and helps them find jobs. Outreach staff members are usually disabled veterans themselves. Most staff members are located in offices of the state employment service but some may be stationed in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regional offices.

Small Business Administration

A number of Small Business Administration (SBA) programs are designed to help small businesses, including businesses owned or operated by veterans. Help available from SBA includes:

  • Business training
  • Conferences
  • Counseling
  • Financial management assistance
  • Government procurement
  • Surety bonding

Most SBA loans are made under its Loan Guarantee Program. The loan amount is advanced by the bank or other lending institution, with SBA guaranteeing up to 85% of the total amount. In each SBA field office, a veterans affairs officer is designated as the contact person to assist veterans.

Death Gratuity

Military services provide a death gratuity of $6,000 to a deceased service member's next of kin. The death gratuity is payable for death in active service or for retirees who died within 120 days of retirement as a result of service-connected injury or illness.

Correction of Military Records

The secretary of a military department, acting through a board for correction of military records, has authority to correct and military record when necessary to correct an error or remove an injustice. Applications for correction of a military record, including review of discharges issued by court-martial, may be considered by a correction board. A request for correction generally must be filed by the veteran, survivor, or legal representative within three years after the discovery of the error or injustice.

Replacing Military Records

A veteran and next of kin should be aware of the location of the veteran's discharge and separation papers. If the veteran cannot locate discharge papers, duplicate copies may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center. For help in this area, contact your local County service Officer.