A new scam has surfaced in Lancaster County where the scammer has threatened someone with a warrant for their arrest for failing to appear for jury duty, and has demanded payment to avoid arrest.
The Jury Commissioner will never call a resident demanding payment over the phone. If you receive a phone call telling you that you must pay a fine to avoid arrest for failing to appear for jury duty:
- Never give out any personal or credit card/banking information over the telephone.
- Never provide identification information such as your date of birth or social security number.
- Never buy gift cards to pay off a supposed fine.
- Hang up and contact the Lincoln Police Department at 402-441-6000 to report the call.
- If you have already paid the scammer, you may be able to dispute the charges with your Credit Card Company or bank.
- If the scammer continues to call, you may wish to ignore the calls or block the number with your service provider.