What are the various types of filings in Juvenile Court, and what do they mean?

The Juvenile Division of the Lancaster County Attorney’s Office is responsible for enforcement of Nebraska’s Juvenile Code as it applies to the following occurrences within Lancaster County:

  • Abuse/Neglect Petitions:  Children who have been subjected to abuse and/or neglect by their parent, guardian, or custodian. Children who have been placed in protective custody and/or foster care due to suspected abuse and/or neglect
  • Delinquency Petitions:  Children who are charged with misdemeanor or felony offenses and have been street released to their parents, or have been referred or transferred to Juvenile Court after being cited or arrested
  • Dependency Petitions:  Children who need to be placed in the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services due to illness or disabilities involving themselves or their parents
  • Status Petitions:  Children who have not been arrested or charged with a crime, but are at risk because of truancy, uncontrollable behavior, or behavior that is harmful to themselves or others

Show All Answers

1. What are the various types of filings in Juvenile Court, and what do they mean?
2. What are the differences between Adult Court and Juvenile Court?
3. What do the various court terms in Juvenile Court mean?
4. My child was referred to the County Attorney for a criminal offense. What happens now?
5. Are there other options for juvenile offenders other than going to Juvenile Court?
6. I'm a victim of a crime being prosecuted in Juvenile Court. How do I get restitution?
7. I'm a victim of a crime and had some of my property seized by the police during their investigation. How do I get my property back?
8. My child ran away or is frequently out of control. What can I do?