I'm a victim of a crime being prosecuted in Juvenile Court. How do I get restitution?

Restitution can be ordered in any case where the victim has suffered a monetary loss. If you are seeking restitution, it would be helpful to contact the law enforcement agency that investigated the crime and advise them of how much restitution is owed. You may also submit written estimates or documentation regarding the cost of repairs for your loss. After the judge has found the juvenile responsible for the offense, the judge will order the Juvenile Probation office to conduct a pre-disposition investigation.

During that investigation, the probation officer will gather information on restitution and may contact you. The County Attorney's Office cannot guarantee that the amount of restitution requested will be ordered by the court or paid by the juvenile. However, at the Disposition hearing, the Court may order the juvenile to pay restitution as part of the disposition. If you have not received full restitution from the juvenile, you may pursue the remedies available to you in small claims court or civil court.

Show All Answers

1. What are the various types of filings in Juvenile Court, and what do they mean?
2. What are the differences between Adult Court and Juvenile Court?
3. What do the various court terms in Juvenile Court mean?
4. My child was referred to the County Attorney for a criminal offense. What happens now?
5. Are there other options for juvenile offenders other than going to Juvenile Court?
6. I'm a victim of a crime being prosecuted in Juvenile Court. How do I get restitution?
7. I'm a victim of a crime and had some of my property seized by the police during their investigation. How do I get my property back?
8. My child ran away or is frequently out of control. What can I do?