My child ran away or is frequently out of control. What can I do?

If your child is currently on run, contact the Lincoln Police Department if you live in the city limits. Contact the Lancaster County Sheriff's office if you live outside the city limits. Those agencies will assist in locating your child. If your child is frequently on run or out of control, you may be able to request that an Ungovernable Petition be filed in Juvenile Court.

Uncontrollable Juveniles

The Juvenile Code allows the County Attorney's Office to seek filing for any juvenile who, by reason of being wayward or habitually disobedient, is uncontrolled by his or her parent, guardian, or custodian; who deports himself or herself so as to injure or endanger seriously the morals or health of himself, herself, or others; or who is habitually truant from home or school. Nebraska Rev. Statute 43-247(3)(b). Ungovernable behavior can include, but is not limited to:

  • Drug and/or alcohol use
  • Leaving the family home without permission
  • Refusal to follow the rules of the family home
  • Refusal to participate in therapy and/or take medication as prescribed
  • Threats to harm self or others
  • Truancy from school

More Information

For more information and assistance on the process to determine whether an Ungovernable Petition should be filed, please contact Lincoln/Lancaster County Human Services at 402-441-4944. The Human Services staff can discuss available options with you and provide a form that allows you to provide us with background information on your child, and specific information on your child's ungovernable behavior. If an Ungovernable Petition is filed and the allegations are found to be true, the Juvenile Court Judge would have the authority to order the ungovernable child to follow rules, participate in treatment and therapy, or if needed, reside in an out of home placement or treatment facility.

Show All Answers

1. What are the various types of filings in Juvenile Court, and what do they mean?
2. What are the differences between Adult Court and Juvenile Court?
3. What do the various court terms in Juvenile Court mean?
4. My child was referred to the County Attorney for a criminal offense. What happens now?
5. Are there other options for juvenile offenders other than going to Juvenile Court?
6. I'm a victim of a crime being prosecuted in Juvenile Court. How do I get restitution?
7. I'm a victim of a crime and had some of my property seized by the police during their investigation. How do I get my property back?
8. My child ran away or is frequently out of control. What can I do?