Can I get a refund on my Motor Vehicle Registration?

If you sell, trade, wreck or junk a vehicle, or terminate a lease; keep your pink registration and both license plates (1 plate for trailers) in order to receive a refund. Bring in your plates, registration, and identification to obtain the refund. Failure to bring in the registration and plates may reduce the amount of the refund. Refunds must be obtained within 60 days of a title transfer. 

If sold in the month prior to registration expiration, there is no refund. If you move to another state and re-register your vehicle(s) there, you are also entitled to a refund. In order for us to process the refund you will need to send back the Nebraska license plates and registration (along with a copy of your new states registration) and an address where we may send the refund once it is processed.

Motor Vehicle Services
625 N 46th Street
Lincoln, NE68503

Show All Answers

1. What if I am aware of somebody using fictitious license plates or attempting to violate Registration Laws?
2. We have old expired plates what do we do with them?
3. Can I put my old License plates from my old vehicle that I have sold or traded in onto my new vehicle?
4. Can I get a refund on my Motor Vehicle Registration?
5. I just moved from Nebraska to another state how do I get a refund on my Motor Vehicle License and Registration?
6. How do I get Amateur Radio License Plates?
7. How do I get handicap Permit or Plates?
8. How do I get Specialty Plates?