How do I get Specialty Plates?

Specialty Plates webpage


You can apply for a Specialty Plate online or by submitting a completed application, along with the appropriate fee to:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
301 Centennial Mall S
P.O. Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509-4789

The Lancaster County Treasurer's Office does not process applications for specialty plates. This is a function of the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles.

Upon Approval

After a specialty plate application is approved, an approval letter is sent to the applicant. The letter indicates the date the plates will be available to pick up at the County Treasurer's office and the County Treasurer's telephone number to verify the Treasurer has received the plates. Current plates and registration must be surrendered when the specialty license plates are picked up. Additional fees for production of the license plates and new registration will be charged. Applicants should allow 3 to 4 weeks for the plates to arrive at their County Treasurer's office.

If you have already ordered a specialty plate you can call 402-441-7497 to inquire if your plates have been delivered. Plates cannot be picked up at the West "O" or Downtown location unless prior arrangements have been made with the County Treasurer's office to send them to one of these locations.

Additional Information

Additional questions regarding Specialty Plates may be emailed to the DMV.

Show All Answers

1. What if I am aware of somebody using fictitious license plates or attempting to violate Registration Laws?
2. We have old expired plates what do we do with them?
3. Can I put my old License plates from my old vehicle that I have sold or traded in onto my new vehicle?
4. Can I get a refund on my Motor Vehicle Registration?
5. I just moved from Nebraska to another state how do I get a refund on my Motor Vehicle License and Registration?
6. How do I get Amateur Radio License Plates?
7. How do I get handicap Permit or Plates?
8. How do I get Specialty Plates?